Protecting Employers Since 1985
Get Ready! Some Chicago Employers Must Soon Predict Work Schedules Under City of Chicago Ordinance!
A City of Chicago Municipal Ordinance (law) titled the Chicago Fair Workweek Ordinance becomes effective July 1, 2020.
Employers covered under the new law: Employers in the building services, healthcare, hotel. manufacturing, restaurant, and warehouse services are covered, IF:
- Operating in the City of Chicago in one of the covered industries; AND
- Employ at least 100 employees globally; AND
- Of which at least 50 are covered employees.
Employees covered under the new law: An employee must earn less than $50,000 per year, or less than $26.00 per hour.
Employers must do the following:
1. Prior to or at the start of the employment, employer must provide to the employee IN WRITING a “good faith estimate” of anticipated days and hours of work for the first 90 days, to INCLUDE
- The employee’s average number of weekly hours;
- Whether employee will be “on call”; and,
- The subset of time or shifts that employee will work.
2. Employer must POST the work schedule at least 10 days before the new schedule starts. (NOTE: On July 1, 2020, employers will have 14 days.)
Penalties under the law: If employer makes a change in the schedule after the 10 day deadline, a penalty is imposed.
Employee rights under the law:
- May decline work schedule hours that are less than 10 hours after the end of a previous day’s shift, OR,
- Work the shift and the employer must pay premium pay to the employee at a rate of 1.25 time the employee’s regular rate or pay; OR,
- May request a modified work additional shifts or hours, changes in days of work, changes in shift start and end times, permission to exchange shifts with other employees, limitations on availability, part-time or part-year employment, job sharing arrangements, or a redirection or change in work duties.
Questions? Contact attorney Anthony J. Caruso, Jr., in our St. Charles office at (630) 377-1554 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact us at any of our five Midwest locations
Schedule your confidential consultation
Contact Wessels Sherman Joerg Liszka Laverty Seneczko P.C. if you would like to speak with one of our experienced labor and workplace attorneys, contact any of our five office locations and schedule a consultation.