Protecting Employers Since 1985
Defending Businesses That Use Independent Contractors
Wessels Sherman has long been proud of its leadership role in defending businesses across the United States who use independent contractors. Our attorneys recognize that the use of independent contractors is a time-honored tradition in the United States.
The attorneys at Wessels Sherman consult with businesses who use independent contractors to help them diminish their potential liability in doing so. The many services that our attorneys provide to businesses using independent contractors include:
- Reviewing and revising independent contractor agreements;
- Helping strengthen independent contractor relationships;
- Defending companies when they are audited by state departments of unemployment insurance, the IRS, and other government agencies;
- Keeping companies up to date about any changes in the law which might impact independent contractor situations;
- Advising companies about their risk in using independent contractors and helping them lower that risk;
- Advising construction and construction-related companies (including trucking) about their risks under the Illinois Employee Classification Act (formerly HB1795) and helping them lower those risks;
- Helping companies establish and maintain independent contractor files;
- Doing in-house training to teach companies how to properly interface with their independent contractors; and
- Revising the many kinds of written materials that a company might use in connection with its independent contractors.
There are many kinds of independent contractors used all over the United States including carpenters, sales representatives, direct sellers, consultants, engineers, drywallers, real estate appraisers, landscapers, architects, truck drivers, messenger couriers, taxicab drivers, carpet installers, loan officers, interior designers, accountants, court reporters, computer programmers, graphic artists, instructors, massage therapists, psychiatrists, etc.
Wessels Sherman attorneys have decades of experience in assisting companies with every kind of legal concern imaginable in connection with their independent contractor usage.
Contact Wessels Sherman
If you would like to consult with one of our experienced employment attorneys, please feel free to contact one of our four Midwest locations:
Stay up-to-date about developments in the Midwest.
Learn more about our practice areas
Contact us at any of our four Midwest locations
The Midwest's Premier Labor and Employment Law Firm
Schedule your confidential consultation
Contact Wessels Sherman if you would like to speak with one of our experienced labor and workplace attorneys, contact any of our four office locations and schedule a consultation.