Protecting Employers Since 1985
Nancy E. Joerg
Shareholder and Senior Attorney
“I enjoy providing strategic advice and counseling to employers on all aspects of employment law, and the relationships I am able to cultivate with clients.”
St. Charles, Illinois
NANCY E. JOERG, managing shareholder and senior attorney of the St. Charles, Illinois office of Wessels Sherman Joerg Liszka Laverty Seneczko P.C., has been practicing employment law with the firm since 1989. She has accumulated extraordinary experience in representing companies that use independent contractors, especially in Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES) audits and hearings.
Providing strategic advice and counseling to employers on all aspects of employment law, Ms. Joerg assists clients where possible with dispute resolution prior to litigation. She regularly represents employers in administrative actions and audits before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Illinois Department of Human Rights, the Illinois Department of Employment Security, the Illinois Department of Labor, and the U.S. Department of Labor. She represents employers in all types of discrimination charges, unemployment insurance hearings, IDES audits, employee termination issues, and wage & hour issues (including exempt/non-exempt status for overtime, deductions from wages, and state and federal wage claims). Nancy Joerg effectively counsels and advises clients concerning preventive efforts such as the preparation and review of employee handbooks and personnel policies, anti-harassment and diversity training, and the development of strategies to help ensure exemptions from overtime.
As a nationally recognized advocate and leading consultant in the area of independent contractor vs. employee status and other contingent workforce issues, Ms. Joerg aggressively represents a wide range of companies who use independent contractors [including numerous trucking companies who use independent contractor owner-operators] before the Illinois Department of Employment Security, the Illinois Department of Labor (with matters arising under the Illinois Employee Classification Act), and the Internal Revenue Service inlcuding IRS Form SS-8 cases. She also works with a broad array of companies nationwide in drafting effective independent contractor agreements and strengthening independent contractor status to effectively lower liability.
Ms. Joerg speaks and writes nationally on a number of employment matters. She is the author of hundreds of published articles (and a book published for Commerce Clearing House entitled Welcome to the World of Independent Contractors and Other Contingent Workers). Ms. Joerg is also the speaker on several employment law CDs presented by Wessels Sherman.
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers list annually from 2015 – 2022, an exclusive list recognizing no more than five percent of attorneys in Illinois.
- Rated Superb by Avvo (10 out of 10), a firm that rates lawyers using a mathematical model to ensure consistency.
- Selected for inclusion as one of 47 female lawyers across the United States in a unique book called Grit, the Secret to Advancement: Stories of Successful Women Lawyers, published by the American Bar Association in July 2017.
- Selected year after year as Top Lawyer in labor and employment law in the Western Suburbs of Chicago as featured in West Suburban Living Magazine in conjunction with Leading Lawyers Network Advisory Board.
- Since 2015, she was honored year after year, by Chicago Magazine as a “Top Attorney in Illinois“.
- Honored, year after year, by her peers as a “Leading Lawyer,” a distinction earned by fewer than five percent of lawyers who are licensed to practice in the State of Illinois.
- Recognized in year after year in The Legal Network as a Top Lawyer in Illinois for the highest in ethical standards and professional excellence.
Areas of Practice
Stay up-to-date about developments in the Midwest.
Northern Illinois University College of Law, DeKalb, Illinois
- Juris Doctor cum laude
- Honors: Dean’s List, American Jurisprudence Award as Outstanding Law Student in Constitutional Law
William Smith College, Geneva, New York
- Bachelor of Arts cum laude
University of Sheffield, Sheffield, England
- (Junior Year of College) cum laude
Professional Associations and Memberships
Illinois State Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Section
American Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Section
Kane County Bar Association, Founder and frequent Chair, Employment and Labor Law Committee
Classes and Seminars
Nancy E. Joerg has presented hundreds of seminars during her legal career on a wide variety of labor and employment law subjects. The following is just a sampling of some of her more recent seminars.
Honors and Awards
Nancy has written hundreds of articles on a wide variety of employment law subjects for many publications including: Keep on Truckin’…NEWS (a publication of Mid-West Truckers Association, Inc.), Debits and Credits (a publication of the Independent Accountants Association of Illinois), and the Illinois Chamber of Commerce’s HR Illinois Blog. The following is just a sampling of her hundreds of published articles:
Contact us at any of our four Midwest locations
The Midwest's Premier Labor and Employment Law Firm
Schedule your confidential consultation
Contact Wessels Sherman Joerg Liszka Laverty Seneczko P.C. if you would like to speak with one of our experienced labor and workplace attorneys, contact any of our four office locations and schedule a consultation.