Protecting Employers Since 1985
Jennifer Adams Murphy
Ms. Murphy has represented clients before the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Illinois Department of Human Rights, the Illinois and U.S. Departments of Labor and various Illinois circuit and appellate courts as well as federal district and appellate courts in Illinois and throughout the Midwest.
Saint Charles, Illinois
JENNIFER ADAMS MURPHY has over 30 years of experience in employment and commercial litigation and counsel. Ms. Murphy is a cum laude graduate of Marquette Law School where she served as Articles Editor in its Law Review.
Following graduation from law school, Ms. Murphy was appointed as the judicial clerk to Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice Louis J. Ceci. After her clerkship, Ms. Murphy’s career has included work as a litigator for a major Chicago law firm and 30 years of private practice providing counsel and litigating various employment issues such as:
- Drafting handbooks, employment policies, executive employment agreements, non-competes and NDAs;
- Counseling on employee discipline/terminations, medical leaves and ADA accommodation;
- Providing training on employment laws and procedures;
- Reviewing and counseling regarding FLSA exemption classifications; and
- Representing employers in litigation of wage claims and audits (federal /state court/DOL/IDOL) and litigation of discrimination/harassment, failure to accommodate, FMLA, BIPA, non-competes and trade secrets claims (federal/state court/EEOC/IDHR/IHRC proceedings).
Ms. Murphy has four wonderful adult children, two living on opposite coasts, one in college and one living at home where she has a very small dog, a large fish tank and two rabbits. In her spare time, she enjoys biking through forest preserves, gardening, cooking and trying to learn new skills.
Ms. Murphy was selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers list 2020 through 2022, an exclusive list recognizing no more than five percent of attorneys in Illinois.
- Summary judgment won in ADA and FMLA case (federal district court/2021);
- Won dismissal in insurance collection litigation through arbitration, Nebraska state court litigation(through appeal) and ultimately obtained voluntary dismissal in Illinois federal court action (2016-2021);
- Won dismissal of state court non-compete lawsuit (2020);
- Won dismissal of FLSA collective action (federal district court 2019);
- Tried and won sex harassment case before IHRC (2019);
- Won dismissal of retaliatory discharge lawsuit (2018);
- Obtained TRO and six figure settlement in trade secret, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference and conspiracy case (2015 – 16)
- Won affirmance in appellate court of summary judgment in breach of employment contract and tortious interference claim (2014);
- Won summary judgment in federal race discrimination and whistleblower lawsuit (2014);
- Won dismissals of two federal collective action lawsuits filed alleging claims under the FLSA (2013-14);
- Won dismissal of state court breach of employment contract /intentional interference with employment expectancy lawsuit (2013);
- Won dismissal of state court disability discrimination and retaliation lawsuit (2013)
- Won reversal of IDES successor determination resulting in reimbursement to client in excess of $160,000 (2013).
Areas of Practice
Stay up-to-date about developments in the Midwest.
Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- J.D. cum laude
- Honors: Top ten percent
- Law Review: Marquette Law Review, Articles Editor
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Major: Political Science and Economics
- Major: Economics
Professional Associations and Memberships
Chicago Bar Association
State Bar of Wisconsin
Illinois State Bar Association
Classes and Seminars
Contact us at any of our four Midwest locations
The Midwest's Premier Labor and Employment Law Firm
Schedule your confidential consultation
Contact Wessels Sherman if you would like to speak with one of our experienced labor and workplace attorneys, contact any of our four office locations and schedule a consultation.